"The Best Programming Advice I Ever Got"
Blog :Tech Tips, Tricks & Trivia
Date: 8/21/2012 4:48:00 PM
InformIt has got authors (Erik M. Buck, Obie Fernandez, Danny Kalev, Eric Lippert, Rob Pike, Mark Summerfield, Bill Wagner) of some popular programming books to share the best programming advice they have ever received. Here it is paraphrased in brief -
- Write less code.
- Take a moment to understand the error message at the top of an exception/stack trace before making additional changes to your code.
- ..language changes and skill improvements — require constant reading.
- ..be part of a team that values progress over politics, ideas over territory, and initiative over decorum.
- ..thinking before debugging is extremely important. If you dive into the bug, you tend to fix the local issue in the code, but if you think about the bug first, how the bug came to be, you often find and correct a higher-level problem in the code that will improve the design and prevent further bugs.
- TDD & refactoring
- Make code usable before you make it reusable.
- Participate in forums
Interviews with Programming legends