Reine de Saba avec Glaçage au Chocolat: Chocolate Almond Cake
Blog :EasY CooK
Date: 8/15/2012 2:49:00 AM
One fine evening I got a mail...Hey are you interested in baking? Would you love to join a baking group? The first thing that went through my mind was...No way..I won't get time to do this..Wont be able to post stuffs on time...I took a whole evening to think about it...Then finally decided..never have participated in anything properly...Never hosted an event and never been a part of any group...So finally replied my friend yes with a tons of questions.. and thus I am now for the first time a part of the group called Baking Partners:A Baking Group started by Swathi.
This is the first post made by the group which is a tribute to Julia Child on her 100th birthday.We baked Julia's Reine de Saba avec Glaçage au Chocolat which is Chocolate Almond Cake.
Ingredients for 8 inch pan:
semi-sweet chocolate - 4 ounce/4 squares/113.4 grams
Rum or coffee - 2 tbsp
Butter - ¼ lb./1 stick/ 113g(softened)
Granulated sugar- 2/3 cup / 134g
Eggs- 3 nos ( Yolks and White Separated)
Pinch of salt
Granulated sugar- 1tbsp
Pulverized (ground) almonds- 1/3 cup/ 65g
Almond extract-½ tsp
Cake flour- ½ cup/ 57g (scooped and leveled, turned into a sifter)
**Substitute for cake flour: While measuring the cake flour, add 1 tablespoon of corn flour/corn starch and then fill the rest.
Semisweet baking chocolate- 2 ounces (2 squares)/ 56.7 g
Rum or coffee-2 tbsp
Unsalted butter-5 to 6 tbsp(soft)
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350F/ 180 C.Butter and flour the cake pan/ use a butter paper/parchment paper in the base of the cake.
2. Mix the chocolate and rum/coffee. Set the chocolate and rum or coffee in a small pan, cover, and place (off heat) in a larger pan of almost simmering water, let melt while you proceed with the recipe.
3. Measure out the rest of the ingredients.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together for several minutes until they form a pale yellow, fluffy mixture. Beat in the egg yolks until well blended.
5. Beat the egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed; sprinkle on the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed (make sure it should have peaks not deflate ones).
6. With a rubber spatula, blend the melted chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture, then stir in the ground almonds, and almond extract. Immediately stir in one-fourth ( ¼) of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter. Delicately fold in a third (1/3rd) of the remaining whites and when partially blended, sift on one-third ( 1/3rd) of the flour and continue folding. Alternate rapidly with more egg whites and more flour until all egg whites and flour are incorporated.
7. Turn the batter into the cake pan, pushing the batter up to its rim with a rubber spatula. Bake in middle level of preheated oven for 25minutes. Cake is done when it has puffed, and 2 1/2 to 3 inches around the circumference are set so that a needle plunged into that area comes out clean; the centre should move slightly if the pan is shaken, and a needle comes out oily and gently set in center and tooth pick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 20-25minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes.
8. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan(if using flour and butter to dust pan), and reverse cake on the rack. Allow it to cool for an hour or two (about 2 hours); it must be thoroughly cold if it is to be iced.
9. To serve, use the chocolate-butter icing recipe below, and then press a design of almonds over the icing.
How to make Icing:
1. A bowl filled with a tray of ice cubes and water to cover them and set aside.
2. Place the chocolate and rum or coffee in a small pan, cover, and set in a larger pan of almost simmering water.
3. Remove pans from heat and let chocolate melt for 5 minutes or so, until perfectly smooth.
4. Lift chocolate pan out of the hot water, and beat in the butter a tablespoon at a time.
5.Then beat over the ice and water until chocolate mixture has cooled to spreading consistency. At once spread it over your cake with spatula or knife.
|cake slice immediately after applying icing..|
1.Use an 8 inch pan for the above measurements.
2. I used coffee extract(1 and 1/2 tbsp) in place of rum.You can use freshly brewed coffee.
3.The cake is on the lower side for sweetness and is having a bitter taste.Increase sugar to almost 1/4 cup(approx.)
4. I used raw almonds and pulverized it.You can toast, blanch, pulverize the almonds.
5. Use good quality chocolates.I used ghirardelli semi sweet chocolates.
6. Cake took about 18-19 mins to bake for me,so keep a close watch on it.
7. The chocolate measurement here assumes that the chocolate squares are 1 ounce each.Before using check how much each chocolate square weighs.
8.Cake has a strong taste of chocolate and coffee.Basically a chocolate lovers cake.
9. I used APF and cornstarch instead of cake flour.
|Cake slice the next day..Icing set properly.|