Find out benefits of barley grains and benefits of barley grass! Barley is an extremely healthy cereal grain which is rich in many important nutrients. Barley is known for high fiber and high protein contents. Barley can be available in many different forms such as Hulled barley, Pearl barley, Scotch barley, Barley flakes and Barley grits. Barley grains and barley greens are excellent sources of essential nutrients and they provide some outstanding health benefits. Barley grass is the leaf of the barley plant and barley grass powder (made from the dried young leaves of the barley plants) provides outstanding health benefits.
Nutritional Profile of Barley Grains and Barley Grass:
Barley grains are excellent source of dietary fiber and selenium. Barley grains also contain very high amounts of phosphorus, copper and manganese. In addition, they are a wonderful source of lutein and zeaxanthin, quercetin and phenolic acids. Barley contains several vitamins including niacin or Vitamin B3
, thiamine or Vitamin B1
. Barley seeds or barley grains are very well known for anti-oxidant properties as well.
Barley grass contains a number of vitamins, including vitamins B1, B2, B6 and B12, folic acid and vitamins C and E. It also contains health promoting chlorophyll, phosphorous, Vitamin K
and calcium. Many of the barley grass benefits come from its phytochemical contents. Barley grass is rich with the anti-oxidant phytochemicals such as lutonarin, saponarin, carotenoids and chlorophyll.
In addition, Barley grass or barley green is loaded with every essential amino acid. Given below is a list of some of the essential amino acids that are found in Barley grass.
· 1. Alanine
Health and Nutritional Benefits of Barley Grains and Barley Grass:
Because of the high amounts of important nutrients contents, barley grains and barley grass provide many valuable health benefits. Here’ how these nutrients play important roles in your health and wellness.
· High amounts of dietary fiber in barley help to maintain healthy colon and reduce the risk of colon cancer and haemorrhoids.
· Green barley grass has a high alkalizing effect which helps to maintain a good ratio between alkalinity and acidity in our body fluids.
· Barley is a good food for the liver cells and muscles.
· Barley grass is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which are very important for the brain cells and brain function.
· High amounts of dietary fiber in barley grains help to reduce cholesterol levels. Regular consumption of barley can reduce the chances of developing cardiovascular disease (CVD) and coronary heart disease (CHD) significantly.
· Barley grass juice protects body cells from carcinogens and helps in the prevention of cancer.
· Eating a serving of barley grains at least 6 times each week is very good for postmenopausal women with high cholesterol, high blood pressure or other signs of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
· Anti-oxidants rich barley grass is great for the skin health. It helps to fight against free radicals and keeps the skin healthy and blemish free.
· Barley grains are very good for lowering Type 2 diabetes. Barley can be a perfect breakfast for patients of Type 2 diabetes.
· Chlorophyll in barley grass is a natural detoxifier which helps to get rid of toxins.
· Insoluble fiber rich food such as barley can help in the prevention of gallstones.
· Barley grass reduces inflammation and gives relief from the pain of arthritis and gout.
· Whole grains such as barley gives protection against childhood asthma.
· Barley grass powder is very helpful in the treatment of skin diseases such as melanosis and eczema.
· Phosphorous in barley plays important role in the structure of body cells.
· Vitamin K in barley grains and barley grass promotes healthy blood clots.
· Selenium in barely play crucial role in overall health. Also, selenium has been shown to induce DNA repair and synthesis in damaged cells, to inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells.
· Barley water is very good for promoting kidney health.
· Some of the nutrients in barley grass (Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Iron, Folic Acid and Vitamin B6) play important role in the formation and maintenance of haemoglobin and red blood cells.
Those are the important health benefits of barley grains and barley grass. Barley is a super food for our health and regular consumption of barley can improve our overall health significantly. But one thing must be noted that though barley is low in gluten, it is not gluten free, so people with coeliac disease should use it very carefully.