Now being a Gujarati and being an Engineer, I would like to list out some personal findings regarding Gujarat history and current scenario which is not said by a single national news channel till date. You will see here historical facts, Administrative and procedural changes made by Modi and effects of the same.
Point to note here is how able LEADER he is, as he has done so many administrative changes, procedural changes in the system and on other hand fought paid media since last 10 years continuously without being disgraced, tired or distracted. That’s the power of vision of a nationalist LEADER.
Before 2002 scenario:
1) Before 2002, since long back (almost after independence ), there was frequent riots in Ahmedabad city and/or Gujarat. Frequency is 1 riot/year and curfew in the city area almost every 6-7 months and you will be amazed that Hindus were at receiving end only (due to backing up of congis which were in power mostly). Specially during RathYatra period as the RathYatra of Lord Shri Krishna passes through Muslim populated areas.
2) Roads were there connecting almost every village, but they were mostly in bad condition and single road only. Roads connecting major cities were utmost two lan only and that also in almost bad condition 2/3 portion of the year.
3) Illegal encroachments in city area, mostly in muslim areas were so high that no one dare to cross that street, area even during the day time. Slum areas were expanding rapidly.
4) There was no new Govt infrastructure is coming up i.e Collector offices, taluka offices, City Civic centers, Hospitals, Govt institutes etc. Existing infrastructure was in bad condition (same 100 year old buildings, no proper maintenance etc)
5) No new initiatives in Agriculture field to increase the outcome, dairy production.
6) Every Government functions were like lifeless tradition only, no charm, no enhancement or new experiment etc. These includes 15thAug, 26th Jan and 1st May (Gujarat Day).
7) There were active Gangs of Latif , tiger meman, groupism in Porbander. There was frequent gang wars news almost every 2-3 months.
8) Water scarcity was there as tankers were running in most of the villages during summer. Saurashtra and Kutch was the worst affected region. There were incidents of tensions due to water in many regions.
9) Though whole Gujarat is Vibrant, but most of the industries were in between Ahmedabad to Valsad belt only. All other GIDCs were in so bad condition. There was mainly chemical and texttile based industries, only GM (General Motors) in Auto industries.
10) There was almost 20 engineering colleges and 5 medical colleges across Gujarat compared to 250 engg in AP and Karnatka along. Technical seats were around 10K only.
11) Electricity condition was good compared to other states, but still there was a power cut of around 4-5 hours/day in villages daily.
You can confirm each and every fact mentioned above with any congi member or any of the relatives of yours residing in Gujarat OR news archives.
There after Modi comes in the picture from nowhere in 2001. And whatever happened there after is history. Those who want to see negative part only can see only 2002, but those who want to see things beyond their imagination, read further. Please read further to have exact idea of what Modi has done administratively, politically and personally for Gujarat. First we will see what actions or rules or policies he has defined immediately after taking charge of CM, then we will see what transformations he has achieved through his innovation, initiatives and intuition.
Steps he has taken:
He has stopped press peoples who were roaming freely in Sachivalaya (big campus covering 26 Govt. departments) who were mostly involved in paid news kind of things (brokering for transfers, licenses etc) He has made mechanism where they all get news online from Govt website, no need to come personally.
He has used GSWAN (Gujarat State Wide Area Network) in such way that less Govt merchandises used and more output comes. Like maximum use of Video Conferencing between Gandhinagar Head office and district, taluka level offices. IWDMS system for transparent and traceable online file movement. Webcasting of most of the event. In nutshell, used technology very very efficiently.
He has drafted policies for each and every thing like processes, accountability etc. Documentation and reporting mechanism has been setup.
He has setup calendar for whole year in advance for all 26 departments with clear vision and targets and activities. Like Krishi mahotsav for Agriculture department in May month of every year, School praveshotsav and Gunotsav for education department in June and December every year, Ranotsav in December every year for Tourism department , Vibrant Gujarat every second year for Industries department. Actually list is very long.
He has started celebrating each year with theme of the year for whole Gujarat. Like Nirmal Gujarat 2003, Pravashan Varsh 2004 and likewise. So that maximum work in that particular area can be achieved throughout the year.
He has started celebrating every special day in different district headquarters throughout the year (3 districts/year).
This list is also very long, which can be easily replicated in other stats provided that personal and political willpower must be there. You can visit here for more detail.
Now, we will see point wise change in each and every area mentioned in 2002 ago era.
1) There is not a single incident of riot of curfew in past 10 years. All the 10 Rathyatras during these years were totally peaceful. Next one is in next 10 days only and all are assured that nothing will happen. Riots were not happened after 2008 Ahmedabad blast also. You can call this as the biggest achievement.
2) Road conditions are now improved so much that we can travel to the remotest village with city like ride. Interior roads has been widen up. Expressway connecting Ahmedabad-Vadodara was lying incompleted since more than 20 years, which was completed in 2003. Similarly all the major state highways and national highway work has been put on high priority and that also with quality work. These work has been applauded by World bank also as they had given loans for the same.
3) One of the most useful and remarkable achievement is congestion free roads in the old city areas and in general also. Tons of illegal encroachments have been removed without any hassle. This is totally unachievable in today’s era when slums have backup of political parties, confusing law system. Today there are so many roads in city areas where we can roam freely without any traffic hassle which was earlier nearly impossible. Slum people has been shifted to Govt built buildings which we can see, not on the paper.
4) One of the most needed and unavoidable work which has been done so beautifully by Gujarat Govt is the construction of new uniform school buildings, Collectorate building, Taluka Sadans, Colleges etc.
5) This one is really remarkable, agriculture income of farmers has been increased to more than 60K crore from merely 8K crore. Dairy production has been up by 66%. Per hectare production has been increased 2 times………Thanks to one month long Krishi Mahotsav every year. Gujarat’s agri growth rate is more than 10% consistently last 10 year while national average growth rate is merely 2.5-3%, and if we remove Gujarat figure from it, it will further drop down to 1-1.5%
6) First of all Govt has used PPP model in each and every major Govt functions like vibrant Gujarat, Vibrant Navratri, Kutch Ranotsav. Now each function is like international event with pure traditional touch. Now 15th Aug, 26th Jan and 1stMay is celebrated each time in different district headquarter out of total 25 districts, there was a weeklong festival kind celebration during these event in each district headquarter. Freedom fighters, novelists and renowned person from the society were honored during these days. Public participation in such events is noticeable.
7) Today there are not any known Gangs across Gujarat. Police department moral is so high that such gangs were vanished and they make sure for future also. There is no personal gang wars kind of things in Gujarat.
8) Earlier Saurashtra and Kutch (famous for desert) region was most water scarcity region. Since last 6-7 years this thing is totally reversed. Now these both regions receive highest rain in Gujarat. Whole pattern has been changed, due to massive groundwater recharge program taken by modi in year 2002-3-4-5 with PPP model. Lacs of small checkdams created along with river, small villages and each and every possible place. Actually I can write whole book on this topic, like what initiative, how it is implemented and how people have participated. A tanker for villages during summertime is gone days. Actually in reverse trend in Gujarat, water level is increasing while it is decreasing alarmingly all over India.
9) Now there are industries everywhere, chemical industries have been shifted whenever possible so that pollution can be reduced. Now you can find auto industries, manufacturing industries equally distributed all over Gujarat. Kutch is the most rich district in terms of FDI, investment across the India.
10) There are now more than 50 eng and medical colleges and planning to have district wise medical college. Technical seats has been gone more than 90K. Earlier Gujju students gone to Bangalore or Andhra for higher studies, now scenario has been changed.
11) An electricity scenario has been changed drastically with unique Jyotigram scheme. Now there is 24 hr electricity supply not only in cities but in every small village. Farmers get enough and fair supply of electricity. Actually they don’t need much electricity now as the water level has been increased.
Friends, list is really long. But one thing is clearly visible here that such a all-round development work can be done by a visionary leader only, not by ordinary man. We all know that it is very tough to get work done from Government officials, specially IAS/IPS officers. He has not only got work done from them but got applause from the same cadre also. I can only see that from here that “those who want to work tirelessly, honestly and for the nation are enjoying working with modi, while those who don’t want to work at all, who are cunning crows, who sees their own interest will definitely hate modi or dislike him”.
I will write about energy (wind, solar, tide), tree plantation, school dropout ratio, cleanliness initiatives, transparency initiative, Tourism development, number of Lions, land records, usage of technology in Govt, PPP model, Sujalam-Suflam project in detail sometime. Keep watching this space.