Carrot Jalapeno Pav Bhaaji
Date: 6/26/2012 3:40:00 PM
Carrot Jalapeno Pav Bhaji
Serves: 3 - 4 Adults
Serve with bread, pav, rotis or pitas. Traditionally, this is served with pav (a kind of Indian puffed bread) which is dabbed with butter and heated. Preparation time: Approx 20-25 minutes Ingredients:
- Mixture of Capsicum / Bell Peppers / Hot Peppers / Jalapenos - sliced/cubed - 2 cups in total. (you can vary the quantity of the individual ingredients as per your own tastes...I have used more of jalapenos and red bell peppers above as it gives a nice hot flavour)
- 2 medium onions, sliced / cubed
- 3 medium carrots - skinned, boiled and mashed
- 1 large potato - skinned, boiled and mashed
- 1 tomato - sliced
- Frozen peas - 1/4 cup [If fresh peas are used instead, then they need to be boiled for a few minutes till they are done]
- 5-6 cloves of garlic - chopped into halves and crushed
- Red chilli powder
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Mustard seeds
- A few (4-6) grains of whole black pepper - crushed
- 1/4 cup of freshly extracted lemon or lime juice.
- Salt to taste
- Carrots and Potatoes - [Should take around 10 minutes...you can continue with the step 2, while this is cooking]
- Skin the potatoes and carrots and cut them into large pieces
- Boil in water with a pinch of turmeric and a bit of salt till they are soft.
- Mash into a coarse paste
- Onions, pepper and spices -
- In a pan, heat some oil, and splutter mustard seeds in it.
- Add onions and saute till they start turning slightly brownish.
- Add the capsicum / jalapeno / bell peppers mixture and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peas and crushed garlic. Add asafoetida (hing), turmeric, chilli powder, crushed black pepper seeds, and salt. Mix together and allow to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the results of step (1) into the results of step (2) above. Mix well and allow to cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Switch off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add a small chunk of butter, and allow it to melt. Once melted, you can mix it together (as I have done), or leave it standing on top.