The Udupi or South Canara cuisine is very vast. During every visit to my hubby's aunties house, I learn one new dish. One such dish learnt recently is bolu huli. My son loves the aroma of this sambar & everytime I make this, he is sure to say "amma(mom), what are you cooking? It is smelling very good!". He relishes it with matta rice(Kerala/Udupi red rice).
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients: (Makes around 5 cups of Sambar)
Pumpkin: 1.5 cups, diced
Toor dal: 1/2 cup cooked
Green chillies: 3 nos, adjust according to your family needs
Turmeric: a pinch
Curry leaves: 5-6 nos, finely chopped
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Asafoetida: a big pinch
Tamarind: 1 tsp, thick tamarind extract
Jaggery/Brown sugar: 1.5 tsp
Salt: According to taste
- Add the diced pumpkin, turmeric, slit green chillies & 4 cups of water. Cook on med-high heat covered.
- When pumpkin is 3/4th done, add tamarind, jaggery, salt & cook on a med-low for another 5-7 mins.
- Mash the cooked dal & dilute it with half a cup of water.
- Add the dal, curry leaves, asafoetida, rasam powder & coriander leaves. Boil on a medium heat for another 5 mins.
- Serve it hot with rice & fritters/papad or chutney.
- Adding a bit of rasam powder, gives a 'kick' to this bolu huli.
- Do not skip asafoetida.It enchances the flavor.
- You could make this bolu huli with other vegetables like egg plant or okra/ladies finger.