Fruits are very important for the healthy diet. Fruits are a strong source of many vitamins and minerals; they are also rich in many phytonutrients. Fruits come in terrific colors and flavors. They may help protect you from chronic diseases. Many studies have proved that fruits are critical to promoting good health. You should eat fruits of different colours. Eating fruits and vegetables of different colors gives your body a wide range of valuable nutrients. Find out more about health benefits of eating fruits and interesting health facts about fruits.
Interesting Health Facts about Fruits:
- Citrus fruits are great sources of Vitamin C. Some of the Vitamin C rich citrus fruits are oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruits and tangerine.
- Orange and yellow fruits (apricots, mangoes and peaches) have high levels of beta-carotene.
- Strawberries contain more Vitamin C than any citrus fruits including oranges.
- Cranberries are probably healthiest of all the berries. They contain much more anti-oxidant properties than strawberries.
- Raspberries and blackberries are the best fibrous fruits.
- Apple is known for the unique polyphenols. Quercetin is a flavonoid found in apple plays vital role in the reduction of blood sugar levels.
- Quercetin in apple is more concentrated in the skin than in the pulp.
- Diet plays important role for sexual well being. Some of the super fruits that enhance the sex drive are berries, bananas, grapes, apples, pomegranate, watermelon, avocado and apricot.
- Among all fruits, watermelon is the best source lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid which helps to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and macular degeneration.
- Fresh extracts from cucumbers have recently been show to have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cucumbers are also known for containing three lignans- lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol, which are responsible for reducing risk of cardiovascular disease and cancers.
- Some fruits contain lots of nutrients in their skin so eating them with the skin on can provide greater health benefits.
- Eating whole fruits provide more nutritional benefits than eating fruit juice.
- Fruits are the best source of natural sugar and they are extremely low in calories.
- Dry fruits are excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Consumption of some dry fruits daily is very good for the overall health.
- Bananas are a strong source of Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), which are carbohydrates- made of short chain of fructose molecules. Fructooligosaccharides are known for the prebiotic properties and very beneficial for the colon.
- According to the studies, people who eat more fruits and vegetables as part of an overall healthy diet are less likely to get some chronic diseases.
- Fruits are low in fat, sodium and calories. Also, they do not contain any cholesterol.
- Another interesting health fact about fruits is that regular consumption of fruits reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer and bone loss.
- The peach is 87% water and has far fewer calories than fruit like apples and pears.
Those are some interesting health facts about fruits. Fruits provide us essential nutrients and extremely important for our health. Add more fruits to your regular diet to get maximum health benefits of fruits.Image Source