his rich and creamy chicken curry is a great party dish and festive food when you are celebrating some special occassion. Musallam meaning “whole” and Murgh meaning “chicken” is a rich creamy dish that belongs to Awadhi Cuisine, from the city of Lucknow. The dish has derived its name thru the process of cooking whole chicken in a creamy sauce and a combination of spices that result in a rich succulent dish that is mildly spicy. and tastes great with Pulao, naan or Paratha.Y
ou can use chicken breast for this recipe, but I took whole chicken cut into pieces. Ingredients :
Chicken, washed and cut into medium sized pieces
Onions : 2(big), sliced
Garlic cloves : 4-5(big), finely chopped
Tomatoes: 2(big), pureed
Bay leaves : 2
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.
Oil : 2 1/2 tblsp.
Salt to taste
Almonds : 10, soak in warm water, remove skin and make paste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Ginger garlic paste : 2 tblsp.
Green chilli paste : 2 tsp.
Yogurt/Curd : 3/4 cup
Red chilli powder : 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.Spices to dry roast :
Whole Pepper corns : 1/2 tsp.
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp.
Coriander seeds : 1 tblsp.
Cinnamon : 1 stick(1")
Cloves : 4
Elaichi/cardamom : 4
Method :Preperation :
- Mix all the ingredients under 'marinade'.Make small cuts on chicken pieces and cover all the chicken pieces nicely with the marinade. Keep aside for at least 1hr., more the merrier. Meanwhile make other preparations.
- In a big bowl, boil water, take tomatoes and make few slits. Drop them into boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Cook and take out the skin, then puree in a mixer. Keep aside.
- On a tawa, dry roast all the ingredients until nice aroma comes out. Grind immediately to a fine powder and keep in a closed container to keep the aroma intact.
- Remove skin from almonds and make a fine paste adding 2 tblsp. milk in it. Keep aside.
- Heat little oil in a pan, add the chicken pieces (keep aside the marinade) and saute them for 6-7 mins. till they are lightly browned. Remove and keep aside. Keep the marinade to use.
- In the same pan, add little more oil, add bay leaves, sliced onion and garlic. Add turmeric and red chilli powder, dry roasted powder and left over marinade. Saute till oil seperates.
- Add tomato puree and saute for 3-4 more minutes. Add the chicken pieces, almond paste and combine well. Season to taste. Add enough water to cook and cook on medium flame till the chicken turns soft with a thick gravy.
- Turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with white rice, biriyani or naans or parathas.
Sending this to following events :