According to the World Food Program (WFP), hunger is the World's No.1 health risk as it kills more people annually than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. Look at the screen shot below, I entered "People dying of " and google suggested hunger by default.
Here is the list of Hunger Facts
posted in WFP website:
- 925 million people do not have enough to eat and 98 percent of them live in developing countries
- Asia and the Pacific region is home to over half the world’s population and nearly two thirds of the world’s hungry people
- Women make up a little over half of the world's population, but they account for over 60 percent of the world’s hungry
- 65 percent of the world's hungry live in only seven countries: India, China, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan and Ethiopia
- Undernutrition contributes to five million deaths of children under five each year in developing countries
- One out of four children - roughly 146 million - in developing countries is underweight
- More than 70 percent of the world's underweight children (aged five or less) live in just 10 countries, with more than 50 per cent located in South Asia alone
So let us not waste food, especially during the huge lunch and dinner buffets. Because there are 925 million people out there who are eagerly waiting for any food!